It was the left-back's first league start in the Premier League, and it could not have been a more daunting one. Fortunately Stevens came through it unscathed, and with his reputation very much enhanced.
Stevens may be well known to Villa fans who have followed his progress since arriving at the club, but to the casual Premier League observer, he remains very much an unknown quantity.
So here are some facts about him...
1) Enda Stevens is 22, and was born in Dublin, Ireland.
2) He began his career at University College Dublin, whose former notable players include Kevin Moran, Pat Jennings and Peter Lorimer.
3) He caught the eye of Aston Villa via his performances for Shamrock Rovers, where he became a league champion in Ireland.
4) His showings also earned individual accolades, with Stevens crowned the PFAI (PFA Ireland) Young Player of the Year for 2011.
5) Villa agreed a deal for him last August, but delayed the switch so he could participate in Shamrock's Europa League campaign last season.
6) His official signing was announced in January, and he made his first appearance for the club in pre-season in July.
7) He played 10 times for Villa's reserve team last season, provided three assists.
8) His Villa debut came in the Capital One Cup against Tranmere Rovers with the club winning 3-0, and he also provided an assist to mark the occasion.
9) Stevens is a Republic of Ireland youth international, making three appearances for their under-21 side.
10) There will be one thing needling him, throughout his professional career, in more than 100 matches so far, he is yet to score a single goal. He'll certainly be hoping to put that right sooner rather than later.
Are you hopeful Enda Stevens can be a Villa star? What do you think based on his brief showing so far?
image: © ell brown