Newcastle United have been heavily linked with the acquisition of 20-year-old Argentine defender German Pezzella. The River Plate centre-half is highly rated and Newcastle are just one of many teams being linked with a move for the talented player, but what can we tell you about him?
1. Pezzella is from Buenos Aires and played for several teams in the region such as Kilometre Five and Algarrobo before signing for River Plate as a 14-year-old.
2. He featured in the clubs tour of Canada in 2009 where he played against Toronto FC, Montreal Impact and Premier League opposition in the guise of Everton FC.
3. He made his full debut for the Argentine giants in 2009 against Defensores de Belgrano in an Argentine cup match.
4. He has yet to become a regular at the club, making just 12 appearances for La Banda.
5. He has made 26 appearances for Argentina’s under-20 side, scoring two goals.
6. He has also been the captain of the side for the majority of his appearances.
7. He participated in the 2011 World Youth championships for Albiceleste along with current Porto forward Juan Iturbe, Roma playmaker Erik Lamela and Arsenal keeper Damian Martinez.
8. Newcastle United have competition for the Argentine for the defender as Serie A outfits Napoli and Roma are also pursuing him.
9. He would join fellow Argentines Fabricio Colocinni and Jonas Gutierrez at St James Park.
10. A move seems unlikely however as the player’s lawyer and agent Eduardo Palomar has stated:
"There is a total agreement with the officials of River Plate for letting Pezzella play for some time at River until he gets a regular position in the first team.
"He is at his first step of a long ladder. He is happy at this moment and after all the patience he had for being able to play at River, he doesn't have in mind to leave, River is his home."
Here is a video of the Toon target in action…
image: © sdhansay