After completing a reported £2.4million move for the 24 year old Moroccan, what and who are Liverpool getting for their money?
Liverpool have announced the arrival of their third summer signing after Joe Allen and Fabio Borini’s arrival at Anfield in the form of Oussama Assaidi.
So who is Liverpool’s newest addition?
1. Oussama was born in Morocco in 1988 but moved to Amsterdam as a child where he soon took up playing football in the squares.
2. At this time he was friendly with the Narsingh brothers, Furdjel and Luciano. Furdjel is now currently playing for FC Zwolle whilst Luciano was his team-mate at Heerenveen until this summer, when he made his move to PSV Eindhoven. Luciano scored his first senior international goal this week for the Netherlands.
3. He soon signed for A.V.V Zeeburgia, a popular amateur club in Amsterdam that has also been home to Prince Buaben of Watford, former West Brom defender Ryan Donk and current AZ Alkmaar prodigy Adam Maher.
4. He joined the youth team of AZ Alkmaar and stayed for 3 seasons but his career hit a snag when he was asked to leave the academy due to poor behaviour.
5. After his release from AZ, Oussama joined Almere City, then known as FC Omniworld, making his professional debut in the 06/07 season and went on to play 36 times for the club scoring 3 goals. Almere City also helped the development of fellow Moroccan international and current Galatasaray winger Nordin Amrabat.
6. In 2008 he moved to De Graafschap of the Eredivisie and played just the one season with the side from Doetinchem before moving on; after an impressive start to the 2009/10 season in which Assaidi scored 5 goals in as many games SC Heerenveen moved for the then 21 year old.
7. After a debut season of development Assaidi had an impressive second season with the club winning plaudits for standout performances against former team De Graafschap, Vitesse Arnhem and Feyenoord. He made his first substantial mark on the game with a stunning performance against defending Eredivisie champions FC Twente, contributing to all goals in a 6-2 victory, scoring a hat-trick, assisting 2 and being fouled for a penalty.
8. After continuing his form this season Oussama was linked with moves to PSV, Ajax, Fulham and Galatasaray; but it now appears Brendan Rodgers has won the race for the Moroccan winger.
9. As a result of his chequered youth career Oussama never played international youth level football; In 2011 he made his debut for Morocco despite being eligible for the Dutch national team and has gone on to make 9 caps scoring 1 goal against Algeria.
10. Liverpool fans may become Mozambique fans come September and October, as Morocco must beat Os Mambas over 2 legs in order to qualify for 2013’s edition of the African Nations in South Africa which could leave The Reds without Assaidi for up to a month at the start of 2013.
What do you make of Anfield’s latest arrival?
Check out some of his best bits in the video below...
image: © Nigel Wilson