Recently we brought you an article highlighting potential Swansea target Nemanja Nikolic’s carer and record to date but now it seems a different target has been acquired. While Nikolic remains a target for other clubs Swansea have tied up a deal to bring Israeli international Itay Schechter to the Liberty Stadium on loan from Kaiserslautern.
So here are some facts about the 25 year old striker.
1. Schechter now becomes the 14th Israeli to play in the Premier League; the first being Ronny Rosenthal in 1992 and since then the likes of Eyal Berkovic, Tal Ben Haim and Yossi Benyaoun have made their own impacts on the league.
2. Itay was a 13 year old member of a Hapoel Haifa side that won the Israeli Youth Cup in the year 200 before moving on to Hapoel Nazareth.
3. Since then he had played for Maccabi Netanya and Hapoel Tel Aviv with distinction including a breakout season, scoring 31 goals in 52 appearances for the capital club in 09-10 before moving to the Bundesliga last summer.
4. Schechter is a devout Jew and it will be interesting to see if any religious constraints affect potential playing time during his stay in England. He infamously celebrated a goal against Red Bull Salzburg in 2010 by placing a Hapoel Tel Aviv yarmulke on his head and covering his face in prayer in respect to a cancer patient and fan of the club.
5. He is a regular at international level, where he excelled at youth level and has 4 goals for the full national team in 13 appearances in games against Czech Republic, Ivory Coast, Greece and Croatia.
Here is a video of his infamous goal and subsequent celebration from 2010 as he hopes to make an impact under Michael Laudrup next season.
image: © Ronnie Macdonald