It's Goldman partner time.
'We just made ninety people partners', Goldman CEO Lloyd Blankfein said a few years back, 'And caused real distress for three hundred very capable people, which will lead to one-third of these people deciding they just cannot stay and have to leave the firm in a year or so.
'Another third will hope to make partner next time - in two years - and if they don't make it, they'll decide to leave or will be recruited away. The rest will adjust to reality and decide to stay'.
So, what qualities / attributes do you need make the grade and become a Goldman Partner ?
Here's our take:
1. Be highly motivated to achieve
2. Have a strong ethical outlook
3. Have the ability to fit in and be a team player
4. Be prepared to work very hard
5. Be happy to put the firm before anything / anyone else
6. Be smart or streetwise (ideally both)
7. Have a strong entrepreneurial bent
8. Have built up a solid track record of achievement at the firm
9. Enjoy the respect of your peers
10. Be a strong role model for all the firm's stakeholders
11. Be patient - not everyone makes the cut first time around