Fifa unlikely to block release of damaging dossier into ISL collapse

Ball In The Net

Fifa has until 23 January to appeal against a court order demanding the release of documents relating to the collapse of ISL, its former marketing partner, with reports in Switzerland suggesting that football's world governing body is unlikely to try to overturn the ruling.

After Fifa claimed it had been forced to delay the publication of the potentially incriminating documents due to objections from one of the parties involved, the supreme court of the canton of Zug ordered that it should do so.

Fifa has 30 days from that date to appeal and if it wishes, the governing body could take the case to Switzerland's highest court, the Bundesgericht in Lausanne. Sepp Blatter, the Fifa president, has said that the documents would be published as part of his attempt to clean up his organisation, which has been plagued by allegations of corruption. On Tuesday a Fifa statement said that it would not appeal against the court decision "as it corresponds to the position of Fifa and its president, Joseph S Blatter, to open the ISL/ISMM case file".

When contacted by the Guardian a spokesman for the Zug supreme court would not offer any reason for the ruling, stating that it was the judge's prerogative not to disclose it. Blatter announced in October that he wanted to reopen the case into the collapse of ISL, which went bankrupt in 2001. Swiss prosecutors investigated the collapse of ISL but the case was settled after they said two Fifa officials – whose names have not been divulged – paid back 5.5m Swiss francs (£3.8m).

Powered by Guardian.co.ukThis article was written by Jamie Jackson, for The Guardian on Wednesday 28th December 2011 15.16 Europe/London

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media Limited 2010

 

image: © House of Joy Photos

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch